November 15, 2011

#14 Post -- The Essentials

First, I would definitely carry my bible because that would be my tangible spiritual compass. This is the first item on my list because in times of war soldiers are asked to behave and act in ways that would be only necessary in times of war. If I have my Bible, when I look at it, I would be reminded to stay true to who I am even in the most brutal of times. Next on my list would be pictures of my family. My family’s picture would be a reminder of what I am fighting for. Seeing my family will give me the strength to carry on and will also be a source of hope that I will be reunited with them again. I would definitely carry two extra pairs of glasses. I cannot function without them. If I do not have my glasses I cannot see more than a foot in front of me, much less the enemy. I would definitely carry extra socks, shoes, underwear, antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, and definitely some types of washcloths. I know there will be times when showers may be limited so these items would help me get through until the next time a shower is available. I would also carry an assortment of medicines and bandages. I am notorious for being clumsy in my daily life so I would definitely make sure I have painkillers for my falls, bumps, and bruises. I also have a knack for being allergic to different types of bug bites and plants, so I would also make sure I have items like Neosporin and antihistamine medication like Benadryl. Also, I would carry headache medicine to battle tension headaches because being with the same people day-in and day-out would be frustrating and stressful, on top of the stresses of war. As for weapons, I would carry small handguns because I am so short. If I tried to carry and handle a bigger weapon I might end up maiming one of my fellow soldiers or myself. I would also carry more ammunition because not only would I want to have enough for myself but I would want too have enough in case one of my unit members needed some from me. I would also carry some type of utility knife. I think I would also carry binoculars and a compass so I can find my unit if I get separated from them. Besides my bible I think the most important and valuable item I can carry with me is love. The love I have for my husband, and my family, and more importantly the love that God has for me and the love God has filled me with. I believe if love is the only thing I can carry that I can never lose or ever run out of, I have everything I need to get through the day or night because “love never fails”.

No comments:

Post a Comment