November 16, 2011

#15 -- In response to Kalekia Adams and a few of my own thoughts.

I too found myself at times agreeing with Ms. Silko’s words, and then at times I found myself disagreeing with her essay. I agree with the idea that by reading Silko’s article and other writings like hers, a person will be “gaining some insight from a native Indian perspective”. By reading about other people’s experiences we can gain some insight and information about different cultures. Not only will we gain information, but also when we read and listen to other people we can begin to understand life outside of our own world. By reading about your experience with the police in Dallas I also learned and gained insight as well. I learned that it does not matter what year we are living in racial and ethnic prejudices still exist. Even though we have come along way America still has along way to go. I think it‘s also important to read about other people’s experiences. I also am in agreement with you regarding Silko’s opinion and words about the men riding the train traveling into Arizona. “In the twilight I saw the most amazing sight: dozens of human beings, mostly young men, were riding the train; everywhere on flatcars, inside open boxcars…”I do not agree with this statement as well, but for different reasons. I do not agree with this statement because it makes it seem like it is okay to come into the United States in this manner. By Silko’s use of the word amazing it gives the impression that this was a good way to come into the country, and it also makes it seem that all immigrants who come into this country have “sneaked” in. It further causes problems for all of the Native American and Hispanic people living in the United States that are born here and who have achieved their citizenship legally.

A few of my own thoughts…
I think the state of immigration and illegal aliens is a sad situation. Not sad as in depressing, but I feel like Americans are losing some of their humanity. With every criminal who has sneaked in illegally, there are people who are trying to come to America legitimately and have little or no success. I believe there are rules and laws that should be followed, but I also feel that the American government needs to come up with better solutions for protecting our borders while at the same time being a country where people can come and have a chance at a better life and a brighter future.

No comments:

Post a Comment